[Zope-dev] Subversion externals versus mirroring

Gary Poster gary.poster at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 07:56:42 EDT 2009

On Sep 15, 2009, at 4:56 AM, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> In my experience distributed SCMs add bottlenecks to development
> that we
> currently do not have in the Zope community: with both our shared svn
> repository and distributed SCMs everyone can branch everything, but
> with
> distributed SCMs you have to ask a maintainer to merge any changes,
> something everyone can do directly right now.

FWIW, this is some variable degree of wrong.

1) "Everyone" cannot merge changes right now: only developers that
have commit privileges can do that.  That's what you meant, I expect.

2) Our current arrangement, as well as many others, can be
accomplished with a DVCS.  Launchpad + Bzr definitely support this.
You would have a Launchpad team of committers, with managed
membership; and have the official branches owned and controlled by
this team.

Generally, I'd be surprised to learn that Bzr/Launchpad were alone in
supporting this, but they are the only ones I can vouch for.  For
instance, I'm almost positive that github also allows you to have
multiple committers to a single branch, though I don't remember the
mechanism.

Gary