[Zope-dev] Proposal: Determining packages which are in the ZTK

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon Sep 21 11:19:55 EDT 2009

Hey,

Generally I believe that these rules if strictly applied wouldn't result
in a usable ZTK. Hanno already mentions the testing dependencies, which
we've barely started analyzing. Documentation in 'docs' would disqualify
just about any package (and Reinout brings up a few objections).

A number of thoughts:

* even without radically pruning the ZTK particular subsets of the ZTK
are becoming a lot more useful than when we started, due the dependency
refactoring. This refactoring is ongoing.

* we need some stability for those apps that already are built on top of
Zope 3. These will still be using zope.app* packages for some time.
Right now we can test lots of breakages of zope.app* packages by using
the ZTK compattests. If we removed them from the ZTK soon, we'd need an
equivalent testing infrastructure for an expanded ZTK, and management
policy will be harder.

I think we could translate these rules from "not be part of the ZTK" to
goals for the ZTK packages:

- we should aim for ZTK packages to be used by Zope 3 apps, Zope 2 and
Grok. The code in the ZTK should be *used*.

- ZTK packages should have narrative documentation. We should actively
work to create such narrative documentation.

- We strive to remove zope.app.* packages from the ZTK or its
dependencies. This can sometimes be done directly but can also be done
by refactoring dependencies, factoring out useful code away from ZMI
code, etc.

The implementation of these goals should be debated for individual
packages. Of course this exposes us that the risk that nothing gets done
and the ZTK remains as it is forever. A more aggressive set of rules
might be seen as a way to force us to do something. I'm not sure whether
that's a problem we need to solve: we do have people actively working on
improving the ZTK, and this has been ongoing work for most of the year
so far.  I'm also not sure whether the solution of aggressive removal
would work: if we don't do anything, would we really start threatening
people with aggressive removal?

Regards,

Martijn