[Zope-dev] zope.catalog in ZTK

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Sep 29 10:08:49 EDT 2009

Albertas Agejevas wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 01:09:08PM +0200, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>>> About a year ago zope.app.catalog as been moved to zope.catalog.  I
>>> think during this move there was a unique opportunity to leave these
>>> event handlers behind in zope.app.catalog, so that the "no .app"
>>> version is free of these forced choices.
>> Doing this would have needed a migration strategy more complicated than
>> "Oh, I'm just going to lose the ZMI when I switch" and people's
>> applications somehow would have to gain registrations manually. I guess
>> a damn good changelog would've helped somewhat..
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but zope.app.catalog still remains with the
> ZMI bits and re-imports of the zope.catalog functionality.  So apps
> depending on zope.app.catalog are not affected at all.  I'm saying
> that some of the event handlers (or their ZCML registrations) could
> have stayed there as well.

We hope to deprecate zope.app.catalog entirely eventually, so we should
support people as much as possible in moving over to zope.catalog. Just
removing the ZMI stuff is a relatively straightforward deprecation step.
Removing configuration essential to the functioning of many applications
is less so, which is why I'm saying it's not bad we do this in two steps.

>> Would this involve removing the configure.zcml in these packages, or
>> what is your proposal exactly?
>
> In essence, I would like to see zope/catalog/subscribers.zcml removed
> from the default zope/catalog/configure.zcml.

Ah, yeah, that would make documenting things easier too: just include
zope/catalog/subscribers.zcml if you them.

Regards,

Martijn