[Zope-dev] Circular dependency hell.

Fred Drake fdrake at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 15:04:55 EDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Christian Theune <ct at gocept.com> wrote:
> zope.testing uses the attribute '__bases__' to store the information what
> the base layers are. __*__ are supposedly Python internal attributes.
> Specifically __bases__ is known to be used to store information which base
> classes a class has.

This sort of misdirection has, unfortunately, a long history in Zope 3
(and the various things that's become).  Witness __name__.  (There are
others, but most aren't *actually* used by Python implementations.)

Removing existing __*__ name ("underware") usage is probably
untenable, but I hope we can avoid extending our foolishness.

  -Fred