[Zope-dev] zope.pagetemplate new install dependencies introduced since 3.5.0 and a modest proposal.

Tim Hoffman zutesmog at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 04:46:02 EDT 2010

Hi

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Hanno Schlichting <hanno at hannosch.eu>wrote:

> Hi.
>
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 7:36 AM, Tim Hoffman <zutesmog at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have been using zope.pagetemplate for quite some time within repoze.bfg
> > projects and bobo (+zope.component) on google appengine
> > (python 2.5.x).
>
> Is there a reason why you don't use Chameleon? Since version 1.1 it
> should be fully compatible with GAE.

We have a large code base using zope.pagetemplate on appengine, and when we
started chameleon couldn't run on appengine.
I should spend some time checking out how well chameleon runs now.  Though I
have some discussion recently
on a few descrepancies in behaviour.

> It might be easier to switch to the new kid, instead of trying to make
> the highly integrated zope.pagetemplate work for you.

Its already been working since very early 2009 so it's more about being able
to setup buildout etc..... rather than hand crafting everything.

> > So now for my modest proposal,  do you think it would be feasible to move
> > the restricted engine implementations out of zope.pagetemplate.engine and
> > into some higher level package and provide a simple trusted engine that
> > anyone can use (that supports metal as well)
>
> At least Zope2 depends on this engine, so moving the engine out into a
> zope.app.* package is not an option, it would have to be some new
> zope.* package. I'm not sure what and how BlueBream and Grok use this.

Bummer didn't realize this

> > If people think this is a good idea, I am quite willing work on this
> (with
> > guidance ;-), so thoughts, comments welcome.
>
> I'd like to hear the reasons for not using Chameleon. To me that looks
> like the better forward path and avoid lots of adjustments and a
> lengthy migration period for zope.pagetemplate users.

I will revisit chameleon. One thing I note that chameleon uses python as
default expressions where as zope.pagetemplate (and all our
code) uses tal expressions as default, and "python:" when we want python.
 If that default behaviour can't easily be changed (I can't find anything in
the docs on this) it would mean a lot of rework, in just 2 projects we have
over 500 different .pt files  ( sure some global search and replaces will
help, but still a lot of changes and testing.

So at this point chameleon needs to be api/implementation compatible with
zope.pagetemplates (metal included) or its a big job
shifting.

Hey it was just a suggestion and if people think zope.pagetemplate is a bit
of a dead end, then maybe I should invest the time
on chameleon

Rgds

Hanno