[Zope-dev] Blueprint: zope.generations

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Aug 25 09:47:33 EDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 2:46 AM, Michael Howitz <mh at gocept.com> wrote:
> Am 24.08.2010 um 15:08 schrieb Jim Fulton:
>>>
>>> No it does not use it itself.
>>
>> Then this is easy. :)  zope.app.publication should not be a dependency of
>> zope.generations.  It should be a dependency of anything that uses it,
>
> The "anything that uses it" are the applications written on top of Zope. There is nothing in between.
> I do not think that every application which uses a root folder should implement this function separately.
> So you really suggest to put this little function into a separate package?

No. I was suggesting that if project imports anything from
zope.app.publication, then the setup file for that project should
include zope.app.publication as a dependendency.  Similarly, if a
project, like zope.generations, doesn't import zope.app.publication,
then it should not list it as a dependency.

>>> including some zope.generations plugins.
>
> I'm not aware of any of those plug-ins and did not find any on PyPI.
> So I'm not sure what you mean by "zope.generations plugins".

In Zope 3, the component architecture is our plug-in system.
Components registered as schema managers are zope.generations
plug-ins.  If a schema manager uses a function from zope.app.publication,
then the setup file for project that provides that schema manager
should list zope.app.publication as a dependency.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton