[Zope-dev] Developer meeting today at 15:00 UTC

Charlie Clark charlie.clark at clark-consulting.eu
Tue Aug 31 06:08:37 EDT 2010

Am 31.08.2010, 11:31 Uhr, schrieb Tim Hoffman <zutesmog at gmail.com>:

> Please don't drop 2.5 support yet.  I use zope.component, zope.interface,
> zope.event, zope.lifecyclevent on all my projects on appengine  and that
> won't be moving from 2.5 for a while I suspect.

Hi Tim,

thanks to Hanno's clarifications on IRC last week let me point out that we
are talking about the roadmap for the ZTK 1.1.

Support for Python 2.4 *will* be dropped this year. Python 2.5 is likely
to survive longer not least because it is the supported version on the
current version of Debian, although it's looking likely that there will be
a new release (Debian 6.0 aka Squeeze) in the not too distant future. And
I guess that GAE is still tied to 2.5? Beyond that, however, I think it's
only reasonable to start looking at the migration towards a codebase that
runs on Python 3.x and that may, at some point, mandate dropping support
for Python 2.5. This especially in light of the fact that Python 2.5
itself is in maintenance mode.

At the moment I think any incomaptabilities are related to tests and
"implements".

However, this is all in the future and subject, no doubt, to review.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director