[Zope-dev] Context priority as an alternative to configuration directive overrides

Benji York benji at benjiyork.com
Thu Dec 2 07:34:03 EST 2010

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 3:15 AM, Malthe Borch <mborch at gmail.com> wrote:
> I always found configuration overrides (e.g. ZCML's <includeOverrides>
> directive) to be difficult to manage and hard to get right.
>
> How about an alternative where you can put a priority on a
> configuration context like so:
>
>  <adapter zcml:priority="100" ... />

I appreciate the flexibility inherent in that approach, but personally,
I'd be frightened of such a system.  I sometimes have problems figuring
out which directives are active in the current system, if I had to
reason about dozens of priority levels I think it'd be worse.

> If accompagnied by a sane amount of logging output, this system might
> facilitate plugging in components "for the rest of us".

I don't quite follow the "for the rest of us" part.  Will you expand on
that?
--
Benji York