[Zope-dev] PyPy 1.4.1 and the ZTK

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Wed Dec 22 15:56:11 EST 2010

On Wed, 2010-12-22 at 09:43 -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
> > This makes it possible to start testing some of the ZTK with PyPy. There
> > are challenges of course: certain packages, such as zope.interface, use
> > C extensions and would need to be installed in "plain-python" mode (if
> > available).

> It is available. The setup script could, presumably, detect if it is running
> under PyPy and not even try building extensions.

It already does.  zope.interface falls back to using its Python
implementation if it's installed on a platform that doesn't support C
compilation.  As does zope.i18nmessageid.

> > The ZODB would definitely be an interesting challenge too.
>
> This is something I want.  The hardest part of this is coming up
> with a Python BTree implementation.

I'd be willing to work on this at a sprint.

FWIW, for our web stuff I've found PyPy to be about 3X as slow as
CPython (even allowing for the JIT to warm up).  But the elephant
dances!

- C