[Zope-dev] Zope2 ZMI and HTML5

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Fri Feb 5 02:49:20 EST 2010

On 02/04/2010 10:35 PM, Alex Clark wrote:
> On 2010-02-04, Charlie Clark <charlie.clark at clark-consulting.eu> wrote:
>> Am 04.02.2010, 13:13 Uhr, schrieb Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com>:
>>
>>> I think perhaps Robert meant to say that Zope2 would[ no longer use DTML
>>> for any part of the ZMI, rather than removing the code which allows
>>> users applications to use DTML.
>>
>> This is something I would like to contribute to as it matches my skillset
>> and interests pretty well. From the responses so far it seems that most
>> people are so used to the ZMI that no change feels necessary and, let's
>> face it, it works well enough. However, for new people coming to Zope the
>> 1990nish of it is a bit off-putting: we've got all this cool technology
>> underneath but you wouldn't believe it when you look at it. And I don't
>> think much is required beyond dropping frames, the table-based layout
>> using PageTemplates rather than DTML. I have an open ticket on much the
>> same for CMFDefault which is where I will start from (from the point of
>> view of separating markup from layout). But my work rate isn't brilliant
>> so it would be good to have a sparring partner or two.
>
> +1, "works fine as is" or "will be dead before long" are not the best
> approaches IMO, factoring out the ZMI functionality in to something
> that folks can maintain and contribute to in the future if they want
> to, is.

Right. It does work as it is and as always we need to pay attention to
keep things working.

One chance I also see where improvements could happen is that packages
might be able to provide UI components that get re-used within the
various frameworks. Just a quick thought from my side, though.

Christian

Christian Theune · ct at gocept.com