[Zope-dev] Adding W3C validating to zope.testbrowser

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Sun Feb 21 05:24:07 EST 2010

Hi,

(removed plone.devel cross-post)

On 02/20/2010 01:53 PM, Ross Patterson wrote:
> I started a branch for doing W3C HTML validation on responses to
> zope.testbrowser requests:
>
> svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/zope.testbrowser/branches/rossp-validator
>
> The idea is to be able to flip a switch and run all my functional
> zope.testbrowser tests and see validation failures as test failures.
> The current implementation in that branch just uses a simple environment
> variable since I wasn't sure what the best way was to support flipping a
> switch like that.  Note that it's possible to use a local installation
> of the W3C validator (such as is available on Debian based systems in
> the w3c-markup-validator package) so that the validation doesn't
> actually slow tests down all that much.
>
> I have a couple of questions I'd like to hear any thoughts on.
>
> What's the best way to support "flipping the switch" in a global sense
> so that during the inner testing loop extra time isn't being wasted on
> repeated validations?

I would not look at environment variables within the testbrowser code at
all but stick to Python's mechanics to store "global" or local data.

The test runner could grow an option then which can influence that
switch beforehand. (E.g. via a feature) I think that's one of the valid
use cases of "arbitrary" plugins for the test runner.

Christian

Christian Theune · ct at gocept.com