[Zope-dev] zope.publisher 3.12 broke 25 zope.app packages

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon Jan 4 16:18:28 EST 2010

Hi there,

25 zope.app packages are broken due to changes in zope.publisher 3.12.
zope.publisher had some components factored out of it into zope.login.

I fixed zope.app.exception: it could be fixed by adding the zope.login
requirement and adding a zcml include statement. I suspect most,
probably all, other failures are similarly shallow.

The breaking of so many packages wasn't noticed by anyone, until tests
of svn checkouts that previously worked now broke.

I hope we can put mechanisms in place so that developers of ZTK packages
can be better made aware of breaking other packages that depend on the
ZTK. This way the developer making the changes could do one or more of
the following:

* provide better backward compatibility

* fix up the breaking packages

* provide a better warning to others who are maintaining these packages
that something was broken.

I faintly, faintly recall we had such early-warning mechanisms in the
past. :)

Regards,

Martijn