[Zope-dev] New Zope 3 name: BlueBream

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 12:35:23 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 16:55, Gediminas Paulauskas <menesis at pov.lt> wrote:
> If we released "Zope 3 the web framework" as version 3.5, little would
> change for existing Zope 3 users since it still includes all zope.app
> packages with backward compatibility imports. Wasn't this the plan
> last year? I see no more confusion than was before, only less. The
> reasons mentioned here are now false, because Zope 3.5 is based on
> ZTK, Zope 2.12 is based on ZTK, and Grok is based on ZTK. Explanations
> written at http://download.zope.org/zope3.4/ are still true, and after
> renaming some occurrences of "Zope 3" to ZTK, Zope 3.5 KGS would be
> the same "Zope 3" thing as Zope 3.4 was.

Absolutely. But the confusion between Zope 3 and Zope 2 persists.
Renaming Zope 3 in to "Bream" or "Blue Bream" or "BlueBream" (see
there, a good reason for just "Bream") gets rid of that confusion. I
don't think corporate people in general has a problem with renaming.
Renaming would also partly circumvent the "Oh no zope" reaction that
you *still* get from Python people, and which is almost exclusively
based on the unpythonishness of Zope 2.

I'm not a Zope 3 developer, so I explicitly do not vote, as I don't
think I should have a say. :-) But I think a renaming would be
benefinial.

But in the end this is yet another "non-decision".  It is up to
whoever makes a Zope 3.5 KGS. If, for example, Baiju and Stephan
decides they want to do that, and they decide they want to call it
"Bream", then Bream it is. If say, Jan and Gediminas makes a 3.5 KGS,
and they don't want to rename it, then it will still be called "Zope".
In fact, it's perfectly possible to do both, but that *would* be
confusing as then Bream in fact would become a Zope 3 fork, not a new
name for Zope 3, so that would probably be less than ideal.

There is also the absolute possibility that no 3.5 KGS ever happens,
in which case this discussion is moot.

So: Talk less, do more. ;-)

http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64