[Zope-dev] Where is the position of BlueBream in Zope ecosystem ?

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Thu Jan 21 10:07:30 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 3:45 PM, Chris McDonough <chrism at plope.com> wrote:
> So it seems like a good idea to explicitly distinguish the set of packages that
> BFG uses from "the ZTK" by giving the bicycle repair toolkit a name and saying
> that the ZTK depends on that, if only to give another "target point" in a
> diagram that includes frameworks that don't use the entire ZTK.  "ZCA" seems
> good enough to me, although I don't really care what it's called.

I think ZCA as in Zope Component Architecture defines quite well what
BFG currently uses internally.

It could be interesting to see if we can come up with better
definitions of what micro-frameworks the ZTK is composed of. What kind
of bags of technologies do we have that offer some consistent and
useful feature?

The ZCA seems to be one of those and the ZODB is another that has some
identity to it.

Possible other features could be:

schemas
object publishing
traversal / location
security / authentication
page templates / tal
i18n
catalog / indexes
web server (server, processlifetime)
caching (ramcache, cache descriptors)
mail handling
browser components (pages, resources, menus)
pluggable browser components (contentproviders, viewlets)
form components (formlib)
persistent components (container, copy/paste, lifecycleevent)
persistent relationships (intid, keyreference)

This list isn't all inclusive and it's not really clear what package
belongs to which of these grous. The relationship between these and
their dependencies isn't all too clear either. But I think if we want
to create documentation or some identity and community around things,
it makes more sense to do so on this kind of higher level than trying
to do that on the level of our current packages.

It's probably too early to do this yet and the community will focus
first on getting BlueBream off to a great start and allow Grok to
finish its move to the ZTK. This is just what Tres and Chris have been
hinting at, when we talked about the term "framework" and what that
really is :-)

Hanno