[Zope-dev] Where is the position of BlueBream in Zope ecosystem ?

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Fri Jan 22 14:22:19 EST 2010

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> On 2010-1-22 18:41, Tres Seaver wrote:
>>
>> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>>> BFG uses the ZCA for some implementation details, I'm not sure if that
>>> is the same as 'builds on the ZCA'. I don't think you can use the ZTK
>>> with BFG - the vast majority of ZTK packages are too tied to concepts
>>> that do not apply to BFG.
>> BFG applications won't likely use the ZTK as a whole, but many of the
>> deployed ones do use some ZTK packages beyond the bare ZCA parts. e.g.
>> the catalog code, SMTP integration, etc.
>
> I thought repoze forked exactly those parts (repoze.catalog and
> repoze.sendmail) to get rid of all the ZTK-assumptions?

We had to fork the catalog (as repoze.catalog), and we've kept it forked mostly
due to the assumptions made by zope.app.catalog (now zope.catalog) that it was
dealing with a structure which contained a Zope 3 "site", that it was set up to
listen for events sent by containerish Zope3 objects, and that it knew how to
resolve document identifiers to objects.  None of these things are true when
you try to use the software outside a Zope instance.

repoze.sendmail was a little more gratuitous (we needed to change it fast,
without any arguments). Its changes have now actually been merged upstream to
zope.sendmail by Fabio.

- C