[Zope-dev] Python 2.7 disables deprecation warnings by default

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Jul 7 06:55:50 EDT 2010

I'm guessing that this has already been noticed and discussed, but
Python 2.7 disables deprecation warnings by default.

This will cause many tests to fail that checked that deprecation were
issued.

This change seems likely to make Python's deprecation system useless
and thus unused.

I noticed this yesterday when testing a project with Python 2.7 that
had some deprecation tests. I modified the test runner script to call:

   warnings.simplefilter('default')

to renable deprecation warnings.  This allowed my tests to pass and
also, ironically, showed new useful deprecation warnings in asyncore.

I'm not sure what the best way to handle this is.  My initial thought
is that all test runners should enable deprecations by default.  This
seems hard to enforce.

Individual test modules can do this, but I'm uncomfortable having a
test script make a global setting like this and the warning module
doesn't seem to provide a way to capture the current state so it can
be reset after running tests.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton