[Zope-dev] Can ZTK 1.0 support Python 2.7?

Christian Zagrodnick cz at gocept.com
Tue Jul 13 14:33:58 EDT 2010

On 2010-07-13 14:12:01 +0200, Hanno Schlichting said:

> Hi.
>
> We have Python 2.7 final now and some work has begun on making ZTK
> packages compatible with it. Currently we still see various test
> failures in the zopeapp set though and nobody who steps up to fix
> them.
>
> Apart from that, we have made a promise to support Python 2.4 up to
> 2.6 for the ZTK 1.0 release. The ZODB 3.10 releases do no longer
> support Python 2.4 but require 2.5. The ZODB 3.9.x releases are in
> maintenance mode for a while and currently don't support Python 2.7. I
> doubt that we can get official 2.7 support for the 3.9.x release line.
>
> Given all of these, I'm leaning towards not supporting Python 2.7 for
> a ZTK 1.0 release. A 1.1 can drop Python 2.4 support and we can try to
> support 2.7 in addition.

Yes, ZTK 1.0 should become stable/released soon. Adding a new Python
version or removing one, doesn't help.

But I really want to see Python 2.7 support rather soon. So how do we
actually proceed there? Even after ZTK 1.0 is out, how is the
transition made to 1.1? I suppose there could be a 1.0.1 at the same
time as a 1.1.0.

Regards,
Christian Zagrodnick · cz at gocept.com
http://gocept.com · tel +49 345 1229889 4 · fax +49 345 1229889 1