[Zope-dev] zope.testrunner 4.0.0b2 problem

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Thu Jun 10 12:08:46 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Stephan Richter
<srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu> wrote:
> We are not really changing the API in a BBB incompatible way. We simply shuffled
> code around. We did that all the time and never increased the major version
> number.

The code is no longer compatible with older versions of zope.testing
and introduces a hard dependency on a new major release of another
package. That clearly constitues the need for a major version upgrade
in my book.

If the code would optionally use zope.testrunner and fall back on the
existing zope.testing it would be fine to do this change in a minor
release like 1.3. As you can tell from the reported breakage the new
release is not backwards compatible.

>> I think rereleasing zc.recipe.testrunner without the zope.testrunner
>> dependency as a 1.3.1 would be in order. And then releasing the
>> current 1.3.0 code as a new 2.0b1.
>
> I think that would be a bit harsh and not fix the Zope 2 problem, if no
> versions are pinned, since even 2.0b1 will be picked up as latest.

Some people use the prefer-final option of buildout to guard against
unstable software. But more importantly humans checking for new
versions or the z3c.checkversions has a chance of identifying this new
release as yet unstable.

Hanno