[Zope-dev] ZTK Package Metadatas

Justin Ryan justin.ryan at reliefgarden.org
Thu Jun 17 20:43:13 EDT 2010

Howdy..

Recently, I worked with Tres to remove the funky old "$Id$" type lines
from all the files in ZTK packages, and while touching every file in
every package, roughly, I came up with some other thoughts on how to
improve consistency, which are detailed in this launchpad bug:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/zopetoolkit-project/+bug/588782

Today, I started by changing the setup.py for zope.browsermenu based
on how zope.component is setup, and a Bzr branch is attached to this
issue.

As mentioned in this issue, I also noted that many packages have no
categorization data.

I originally, in followup to another issue where I changed all the
zope3-dev emails to zope-dev, and started futzing with the
categorization to change 'zope3' tag to 'zope', and remove the
Framework :: Zope3 bit, which was discouraged by someone over IRC
because other people's metadata is linked to this, so I abandoned
those.

I feel it's notable that this bug's original title focused on the
general idea that package metadatas are inconsistent, and if there
isn't already a policy, we should set some forth.  I notice some
packages even note specific versions of Python, esp. zope.interface,
maybe we should work on that in others.

I'm sure people are like, "Oh, why so focused on all this fritzy
stuff?",  but the thing is, touching each file in each package really
helps me to gain familiarity with a system I've always wanted to be
more of a contributor to, and am proud to have begun down the road
for.

As the Framework :: thing, does anyone object to two additions on top of Zope3:

  Framework :: Zope Toolkit
  Framework :: BlueBream

I know the bluebream thing is wierd, I know there has been some tumult
in the community lately, I don't know where all that really lies, or
how it divides folks.  I do know that the BB brand has helped to have
the first ever message I've seen asking basically, by someone who
decided for sure they want to use Python, and worked a bit with Django
which is very tasty the first day, apparently, and then found they
wanted to use Zope techs.

Anyway, just touching base.  What should the metadata reflect, etc..

Most of all, does anyone mind my making sure that all packages pull in
their doctests, if available, to display on the front page of pypi.

Also, have we considered a zope.org site which just pulls all these
doctests together, because obviously as PyPI is often down, and that
needs to be fixed, we can also reduce our reliance upon it.

If I want to know how a zope.* package works, i can always google its'
name and get a PyPI page.  Howabout we try to supercede that with a
documentation-only URL that links to a separate download location.
And not count the visits against a Postgres database.

Best!  Happy Zoping!

Justin Alan Ryan
[ bitmonk ]