[Zope-dev] Zope2: Reducing C dependencies

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Tue Mar 30 12:10:04 EDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 5:49 PM, Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net> wrote:
> On 3/30/10 16:56 , Hanno Schlichting wrote:
>> If this is done the remaining C libraries are in AccessControl,
>> DocumentTemplate and ZCTextIndex. AccessControl has a reference
>> implementation in Python and could the C library could be made an
>> optional optimization. The ZCTextIndex okascore.c and stopper.c should
>> also be relatively easy to do as Python implementations.
>
> All of those are quite stable as well, aren't they? What is the
> rationale for not splitting those out?

These packages have hairy interdependencies on lots of other things.
Like code in AccessControl modifies code inside DocumentTemplate,
DocumentTemplate imports from AccessControl at the same time. Or
Zope2.App needs HelpSys which in turn relies on ZCTextIndex. There's
many more of these examples.

Before we could think about splitting out any of these, we'd need to
clean up those dependencies. At least AccessControl has seen a lot of
changes in current Zope trunk compared to 2.12.x, so I'd be hesitant
to split it out right now.

Hanno