[Zope-dev] Functional areas of Zope

Thomas Lotze thomas at thomas-lotze.de
Mon Nov 1 09:47:31 EDT 2010

First of all, please excuse the long time without a reply - I spent the last
two weeks sick.

Jim Fulton wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 8:29 AM, Laurence Rowe <l at lrowe.co.uk> wrote:
>> I would say that javascript and client side programming frameworks are
>> out of scope for Zope the project. There are plenty of existing client
>> side frameworks (jquery, YUI, etc.) with varying degrees of weight and
>> functionality. We don't want to build another.
>
> I agree. The only exception would be if someone came up with something so
> innovative that we chose to embrace it.  I think that the focus of the
> community should be better leveraging existing libraries.

I agree with that as well. In fact, I wasn't saying that
Zope (the community) should invent a client-side framework of its
own, but was rather mentioning client-side programming as one
example of a problem domain that web programming nowadays
includes and which I suggest the Zope community should have at
least some answer to, making "client-side programming" one
functional area of Zope in my opinion.

That answer may of course be something that involves deploying
one or more existing Javascript framework(s). To stay focussed on
defining functional areas, however, let me suggest focussing this
thread on the question whether we want to consider client-side
programming a functional area of Zope in the first place, and
maybe opening a new thread for discussing possible answers the
Zope community might come up with.

> A number of people have done work in this area.  We should find some forum
> to compare notes.
>
>> We also want to make it easy to communicate between client side
>> javascript and server side python via JSON (bobo implmented some json
>> help classes IIRC).
>
> So does zc.ajax (and our unfortunately internal zc.ajaxform).  These fit
> better with zope.publisher, fwiw.  I'm sure there are other examples of
> this in the zope ecosystem.

IMO, this speaks for considering client-side programming a
functional area of Zope and at the same time, indicates how
identifying such areas enables us to better understand and
coordinate development efforts and communication.

--
Thomas