[Zope-dev] Yet more unicode and page template weirdness

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Oct 13 03:53:08 EDT 2010

Hi All,

In Zope 2.12, try putting the following in a TTW ZPT:

<tal:c content="&#8250;"/>

...nothing more, nothing less.

On save, I get:

Compilation failed
<type 'exceptions.UnicodeEncodeError'>: 'ascii' codec can't encode
character u'\u203a' in position 0: ordinal not in range(128)

If I try and view the template, unsurprisingly, I get:

Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 361, in _bindAndExec
Module Products.PageTemplates.ZopePageTemplate, line 335, in _exec
Module Products.PageTemplates.ZopePageTemplate, line 432, in pt_render
Module Products.PageTemplates.PageTemplate, line 80, in pt_render
Module zope.pagetemplate.pagetemplate, line 109, in pt_render
Warning: Compilation failed
Warning: <type 'exceptions.UnicodeEncodeError'>: 'ascii' codec can't
encode character u'\u203a' in position 0: ordinal not in range(128)
PTRuntimeError: ['Compilation failed', "<type
'exceptions.UnicodeEncodeError'>: 'ascii' codec can't encode character
u'\\u203a' in position 0: ordinal not in range(128)"]

Any ideas where the non-ascii character is in the above?

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk