[Zope-dev] (re)moving browser subpackage from zc.catalog?

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 05:02:17 EDT 2010

Hi Michael and Marius,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions! This is what I did:

On 10/13/10 15:37 , Michael Howitz wrote:
> Am 13.10.2010 um 13:50 schrieb Jan-Wijbrand Kolman:
>> Then there's no real need for a browser extra, as the browser
>> subpackage does not really have any code (only registrations). Or
>> maybe you meant something different?
>
> When someone wants to use the browser package he could use the
> "browser" extra to get all the packages needed for the ZCML
> registrations successfully load. Otherwise he has to find out himself
> where the ZCML directives are declared.

I created two extra_requires: a browser and a test_browser. The first
lists the dependencies for the browser subpackage to work. The second
for the corresponding tests to run.

On 10/13/10 14:42 , Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 01:50:39PM +0200, Jan-Wijbrand Kolman wrote:
>>> Ah, no it wouldn't help there, as the testrunner would find the
>>> tests in the browser subpackage and it would try to run them
>>> regardless.
> You could always conditionally disable them: in each test*.py file
> have
>
> def test_suite(): suite = unittest.TestSuite() if some condition:
>     suite.addTest(unittest.makeSuite(...))
>     suite.addTest(doctest.DocTestSuite(...))
>     suite.addTest(doctest.DocFileSuite(...)) return suite

I also made the tests.py in the browser subpackage only add tests to the
test suite whenever the test_browser dependencies indeed are available.
This fixes the situation where a test runner (in my case the test runner
of the grok toolkit) finds these tests and would try to run them.

The CHANGES.txt contains instructions on how to enable the ZMI views for
your project in case you need them.

I propose to release this as 1.5.0, which would be a major version
release that would indicate: "Watch out, potentially backwards
incompatible changes ahead!".

Right?

Thanks again for your feedback!

kind regards, jw