[Zope-dev] More information in case of ZCML conflict errors

Sylvain Viollon sylvain at infrae.com
Tue Aug 2 09:29:22 EDT 2011

Hello,

   I spend a long time trying to understand why I could not override a
   component in ZCML and debug the error.

   First, includeOverrides doesn't include any overriding registration.
   At least not like you would expect. At best It can be used to include a package
   in the site.zcml that would conflict with an another, replacing the conflicting actions
   by his own.

   After I would love, when there is a conflict error in ZCML to have a bit more
   of information other than what we currently have: like which file include which file
   and so up to the conflicting actions. As I pdb through this conflict, I see that
   all this information is already there, it is just not included in the exception nor
   displayed to the user.

   This information can be found in zope.configuration.config line 1517, in
   the variable includepath and basepath. This just need to be added to the
   exception.

   Since I work with Zope and ZCML, having those informations to debug
   conflict errors would have saved me days of works, at least.

   My issue was that an another package was already including the package that contained
   actions I wanted to override, so even if I wanted to include it myself in order to
   override its actions, it would not be included since it already have been included.

   Finally, I think a bit of documentation on ZCML conflict errors would help a lot
   everybody.

   Regards,

   Sylvain,

--