[Zope-dev] RFC: Proposal for merging jbohman-zope.registry branch of zope.component

Wolfgang Schnerring ws at gocept.com
Tue Aug 30 03:22:58 EDT 2011

Hello Charlie,

* Charlie Clark <charlie.clark at clark-consulting.eu> [2011-08-26 11:17]:
> Am 26.08.2011, 09:51 Uhr, schrieb Wolfgang Schnerring <ws at gocept.com>:
> > However, what's important to me is that we try to make packages
> > cohesive, and that we try to make integration between packages
> > understandable.
>
> I think that what you suggest is too much for the moment and I think it
> even contains the Zope 3 risk of trying to get everything right.

I fully agree that it is not feasible to do everything at once, and
that we should take small but continuous steps towards the goal.
But my aim was first and foremost to point out that the currently
proposed step is going *in the wrong direction* in my opinion.
Upon that it's a little disheartening to hear that I'm trying to do
too much.

> Tres' proposal has the not inconsiderable advantage of merging work
> already done.

This feels a lot like "the facts are already there, end of discussion"
to me, and I hope you agree that this is not a reasonable argument.

> And, given that the work has come from an external if related
> project, the main aim of exposing these libraries to the wider world
> has been achieved.

That is true and I'm glad we're leaving the monolithic state "it's all
of Zope or nothing" behind more and more. However, to mention the goal
again (which is worth moving towards, I think), I really think we
should not split things up "just so" according to current mechanical
requirements, but also think about conceptual boundaries.

Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Schnerring · ws at gocept.com · software development
http://gocept.com · tel +49 345 219401 0 · fax +49 345 1229889 1