[Zope-dev] congrats on the new zope.org launch, but..

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Jul 15 07:50:31 EDT 2011

Hey,

On 07/11/2011 06:09 PM, Andreas Jung wrote:

>> According to zope.org Gork is more like ZPT than it is
>> like BlueBream. Griok is more like CMF than it is like BlueBream. This
>> is because Grok is listed under the grab-bag framework category.
>
> I partly agree with you - I think Grok can be considered both as an
> application server and as a framework. I would not object to move Grok
> to the app server section if you want it.

+1

> The problem is more that
> grab-bag "framework". The "ZCA" is to be honest not a framework but a
> concept and "ZPT" is a part of the "ZTK" and all other frameworks.

Yeah, it's a grab bag item, I already mentioned that previously, but I
still think Grok should be in the same category with BlueBream.

We can look up my previous post to see what I suggested about the
framework category there; I did offer some suggestions there.

>> I also mention that 'Application Servers' may not be the best heading
>> for the category which could contain Zope and BlueBream and Grok. Zope's
>> an application server, the other two are called "web framework"
>
> I won't start a new philosophical discussion about differences between
> application servers and web-frameworks - any better naming suggestion
> for a category holding Zope, Bluebream and Grok?

I'd just call the category "web framework"; 2 out of 3 already say they
are. Zope can then itself say in its description that it's an
application server if that's an important term. It's still a compromise
but I think it's better to compromise towards "web framework" which is
the more recognizable term.

Regards,

Martijn