[Zope-dev] Revert removal of ++skin++ in Zope4?

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 10:35:19 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 16:12, Laurence Rowe <l at lrowe.co.uk> wrote:
> While I think there is definitely scope for simplifying the mix of
> competing skin concepts in the Zope/CMF/Plone space, we need to be
> careful not to bite off more than we can chew. We still have a lot of
> CMF skin scripts and templates in Plone that I don't want to become a
> blocker for adopting Zope 4. This should be the first of several
> releases that progressively rationalise our software stack, lets not
> try and do it all at once.

Absolutely. Getting rid of CMFSkins is a part of getting rid of CMF,
not a part of moving to Zope 4. Different issues.

But I do think that whatever skin concept Zope 4 has, should be one
that can also be used by Plone. Until we get rid of CMF we have to
have at least two skin concepts, and that's one to many. Having a
third one is no good.

If, as Tres say, ++skins++ is overworked and overcomplicated, could we
extend plone.browserlayers to have a traverser or something?

//Lennart