[Zope-dev] Zope 4 roadmap

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Thu Nov 17 19:57:32 UTC 2011

On 11/17/2011 02:05 PM, Laurence Rowe wrote:
> On 17 November 2011 15:23, Martin Aspeli <optilude+lists at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On 17 November 2011 14:46, Laurence Rowe <l at lrowe.co.uk> wrote:

<snip>

>>> - Move authentication out to WSGI middleware.
>>
>> +1 - anything we can do to make AccessControl simpler and more
>> debuggable would be a big win.

Note that there is a counter-trend here among the Pyramid crew:  many
developers *want* tight integration of authentication, particularly the
login forms.

>>> Long term ---------
>>>
>>> - Move to WebOb as our request object. The wider Python web
>>> framework community seems to have settled on WebOb as their
>>> request object of choice, so to facilitate sharing of software
>>> components with other projects we should consider making WebOb our
>>> request object too (instead of just wrapping it). This will
>>> require buy-in from the wider ZTK community as the ZTK components
>>> will need
>>
>> +1

BBB concerns are likely going to keep us from replacing the request
entirely.  What really matters for re-use is that our requests provide
the same commonly-used subset of the WebOb request API.

>>> - Move to Python 3.
>>
>> +0
>
> I expect this will only become important several years down the line,
> but the more we use other people's code who have already ported to
> Python 3, the less code we will have to port ourselves.

FWIW, the port to Python3 of substantial existing web framework code is
already a dubious proposition:  nearly everybody doing it these days is
suffering pain (making their own code more complicated by straddling) in
order to gain hypothetical future benefits.

I would leave it off the roadmap completely until that landscape changes
substantially.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com