[Zope-dev] RFC: Proposal for merging jbohman-zope.registry branch of zope.component

Wolfgang Schnerring ws at gocept.com
Thu Sep 8 06:39:57 EST 2011

* Chris McDonough <chrism at plope.com> [2011-09-08 05:21]:
> On Thu, 2011-09-08 at 09:01 +0200, Wolfgang Schnerring wrote:
> > Yes, I like the idea of a "fresh start" (or at least "proper clean
> > up") quite a bit. And I'd definitely be up for writing (new)
> > documentation. You've set a great example in that regard with Pyramid
> > that is very much worth emulating for other packages.
>
> I'm behind the goal of cleaning up and documenting componenty things
> better, and I think those are very worthy ideas.  But I think blocking
> the proposed division while we hash out the details of what some second
> generation zope.component might be is probably not in anyone's best
> interest.  If there were some branch laying around with a proposed set
> of changes, it might be more reasonable, but there's not, and it will
> take months to create one (after discussion, planning, development,
> rehashing, etc).  The creation of a second package today that just holds
> the proposed bits doesn't prevent future innovation, AFAICT.

I guess that extracting just a little bit right now won't get in the
way of "doing things properly" (since that most likely means
extracting a little more and then documenting it), and I certainly
don't want to stand in the way there.

However, that means that the package currently called "zope.registry"
will quite likely become the "future" of zope.component. In that light
I'd really like to try and come up with a better name -- Jim?

Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Schnerring · ws at gocept.com · software development
http://gocept.com · tel +49 345 219401 0 · fax +49 345 1229889 1