[Zope-dev] [Checkins] SVN: zc.buildout/ Moved to github

Alex Clark aclark at aclark.net
Sun Aug 19 21:50:49 UTC 2012

Hi Jens,

On 2012-08-19 06:51:47 +0000, Jens Vagelpohl said:

> On Aug 19, 2012, at 0:01 , Alex Clark <aclark at aclark.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jens,
>>
>> On 2012-08-18 07:49:59 +0000, Jens Vagelpohl said:
>>
>>> Hi Alex,
>>> Please revert this checkin. You can't just take core software pieces
>>> from Zope Foundation-hosted repositories and move them somewhere else.
>>> Thanks!
>>
>> I think you are confused. I would suggest you ask Jim Fulton about it,
>> as he moved Buildout to GitHub months ago. Both 1.6.x and 2.x are under
>> active development there.
>

> Again, there's a confusion about perceived and legal ownership.

You care about legal ownership because it's your job to do so. I care
about helping people and shipping code because that's my job. The only
thing I feel like I am confused about is why the ZF is asking me to
make a change when the action-that-matters was taken months ago by
someone else? Why are you making an example out of me? Shouldn't you
instead address the "real" issue (which is that Jim moved Buildout)?

The code is still there in the previous revision. I didn't maliciously
destroy anything. Why does the ZF feel so strongly about the issue that
they need to ask me to revert an innocous, nothing-but-well-intentioned
change?

Have we not lost our way a bit, if this is the case? What good is the
legal protection of our software, if we are just sitting around
fighting about it, instead of building the software?

Sorry, Jens, I don't mean to accuse you or Tres in any way. I just
don't understand this situation -at-all- and I don't understand why the
"right" thing to do in this case is to focus all this attention on my
trivial commit, which obviously alerted you to a situation that had
already begun months ago, without me.

Alex

Alex Clark · http://pythonpackages.com