[Zope-dev] Zope 4 release management

Alexandre Garel alex.garel at tarentis.com
Wed Feb 1 14:40:49 UTC 2012

Le 01/02/2012 14:21, Lennart Regebro a écrit :

> I do think the big issue is where to host it. Yes, fine, people have
> opinions on git vs svn vs hg, etc. But that boils down to 25%
> technical arguments, 25% what you are used to 25% what everyone else
> uses and then 30% religion to make sure the bucket overflows.

Disclaimer : Though I use zope libs every day, I'm not a comitter nor
member of foundation.

I'm a bit amazed by this argumentation. I think one important thing is
that subversion is centralized while dvcs are not.

With dvcs everyone got full history of zope libs. I personally find it a
big pro for a free software.
More over with dvcs someone may fork a product on his side (a branch of
his own, not on a zope server) and make it evolve, still having ability
to merge updates (and auto merge in dvcs are superior to the one found
in subversion).

All I see here is usability not religion ;-)

Now about github, I may say that gitorious.org exists and is
free-software and gitosis + gitweb are on most linux distribs and offers
same features as today's zope svn. I think the same can be said for hg.
But really github/bitbucket is just hosting, it's not like subversion,
you got all your data and history at home also, so you can leave github
as soon as you want (if you do not use other features).

Finally, moving a subversion repo to git is really easy (and I think
it's the same with hg)

Hope this helps.

Alex

--