[Zope-dev] Zope 4 release management

Alex Clark aclark at aclark.net
Tue Jan 31 23:05:34 UTC 2012

Hi,

Late chime-in below:

On 11/17/11 2:45 PM, Tres Seaver wrote:

> [...]
>> need a way to manage and number those releases.
>

> That is what the ZTK does now:  it is an amalgamation of releases of
> separately-managed packages, which periodically gets a versioned release
> itself, mapped as an index or a 'versions.cfg' file.

>>> Note that this question is *not* suitable for "loudest voice on
>>> zope-dev wins" ressolution.  The software belongs to the Zope
>>> Foundation, which will make any such decision.  The work done on
>>> github by the Zope4 sprinters in SF  should be seen as scratchpads
>>> for work which will be migrated back into the canonical repository
>>> for each project.
>>>
>>> A couple of points for consideration:
>>>
>>> - - bzr and hg are pretty much isomorphic to git WRT this kind of
>>> practice. Both have claims on our community which Git does not (hg
>>> because it is the tool of choice for Python, bzr because we already
>>> use Launchpad). Note that I use Git daily, and the others somewhat
>>> less frequently:  I'm not speaking from ignorance here.
>>>
>>> - - Merging feature branches in SVN is not *that* difficult,
>>> typically:  I've done scores of such merges myself with almost no
>>> pain (and the really painful ones would have been pretty much as bad
>>> with git / bzr / hg).
>>
>> In the Plone community, we held a poll. GitHub won hands-down. The
>> second choice was staying with self-hosted SVN
>

> Again, this is a choice to be made by the foundation:  any polling will
> be done by the members of the foundation (this might be the biggest
> non-election item on the agenda for the next annual meeting).
>

>> GitHub is a big leap forward in software project support. It's also
>> rapidly becoming a de-facto place for many people to look for
>> software. We win if the people we want to encourage to fix bugs or
>> contribute features have a low barrier to entry.
>

> github's biggest wins, compared to self-hosted git or SVN, are for
> "casual" contributors submitting easy-to-merge patches.  Given that the
> new-old Zope is explicitly avoiding marketing itself to new developers, I
> don't find that win all that convincing:  there is no point in having
> machinery for pull requests from folks who could push the changes themselves.
>

>> Note that this also includes Plone developers working on Plone at
>> this stage, since Plone has now moved to GitHub. So, my personal vote
>> would be for Zope to use GitHub (with a backup mirror), allowing me to
>> have a more integrated toolchain.
>>
>> Personally, I find GitHub substantially better than BitBucket,
>> especially for collaboration, and Launchpad nearly unusable. I'd
>> encourage you to look at usage and growth statistics for the three
>> main hosting/collaboration services.
>

> I don't think "what everybody else is doing" is all that relevant:  this
> isn't a popularity contest, and Zope has permanently lost its standing
> with the shiny-obsessed "cool kids."  We need to choose on the basis of
> enabling the currently active developers to work together productively.

-1, I feel it's at least somewhat relevant for the Zope community to
occasionally examine its environment, if for no other reason than to see
how it can benefit from what others are doing.

I was just thinking the other day how I'd really like to do some
zc.buildout dev/maintenance (motivated in part by Ross Patterson's
recent work) and immediately thought "I hope they move everything to
github". And I'm delighted to see that this discussion has actually begun.

Bottom line: Zope stands to benefit greatly if the current active
developers keep an open mind about how/where/when development of Zope
software should occur. There are plenty of people that still think Zope
software is cool, and plenty of skilled developers on github that could
potentially help move it forward.

Alex

Alex Clark · http://pythonpackages.com