[Zope-dev] Bad ZODB 3.10.5 egg on PyPI, cleanup needed

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Mon Mar 12 21:55:52 UTC 2012

Today I was unable to build zodbbrowser using its bleeding-edge.cfg
which unpins all package versions.  It was unable to install ZODB3.

I can reproduce the same error with pip:

  $ virtualenv test
  $ test/bin/pip install ZODB3
  Downloading/unpacking ZODB3
    Downloading ZODB3-3.10.5.win32.zip (1.8Mb): 1.8Mb downloaded
    Running setup.py egg_info for package ZODB3
      Traceback (most recent call last):
        File "<string>", line 14, in <module>
      IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/tmp/test/build/ZODB3/setup.py'

It looks like {zc.buildout,easy_install,pip,setuptools,distribute} see
the ZODB3-3.10.5.win32.zip as a simple .zip source tarball of ZODB3
version "3.10.5.win32".

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/ZODB3/3.10.5 contains various proper win32
eggs in addition to that .win32.zip.  The PyPI page for 3.10.4 did not
have any weird .win32.zip files.

Can someone please remove that "dumb" binary file which is "built for
Windows XP" (and doesn't even mention for which Python version)?

  Package Index Owner: tim_one, J1m, ctheune
  Package Index Maintainer: ctheune, hannosch, zope.wineggbuilder

(On an unrelated note, the # of downloads columns is 0, although I
personally have downloaded it (via pip/buildout) at least three times
today.)

Marius Gedminas
--
http://pov.lt/ -- Zope 3/BlueBream consulting and development