[Zope-dev] unofficial svn mirror on github

johannes raggam raggam-nl at adm.at
Fri Oct 5 08:21:09 UTC 2012

Dear Zope Devs,

because I want to do some research on the Zope source base (following
commits, researching about the state of WSGI and the DateTime removal
attempt in different branches, etc), I created a git clone of the
Zope2 repository from svn.zope.org:

$ git svn clone -s svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/Zope

It's really nice to browse through the commits, until the first one
from 1996-06-17 by Jim Fulton "Almost initial version.", where Zope
was only two modules:
lib/python/ZPublisher/Publish.py and
lib/python/ZPublisher/Response.py

I uploaded it to github, so that others can also use it (The branches
and tags have not been pushed yet):

https://github.com/thet/Zope

(See: https://github.com/thet/Zope/commits/master?&page=342 for the
beginning of History)

I placed a note in the description, that the github repository is a
unofficial mirror from svn.zope.org.

I think about cloning even more relevant repositories from
svn.zope.org, create a script to automatically sync it once per day
and move it over to github, maybe a organisation called

github.com/ZopeMirror

What do you think about this?

I know there is an ongoing discussion about moving to another SCM
system or even using a SCM provider like github, bitbucket, gitorious,
launchpad, ... I don't want to create any facts by creating a mirror -
in fact, I'm not authorized to do anything without approval from the
Zope Foundation. But I think a mirror on github would be just a nice
thing to have, since their web interface is awesome.

Best,
Johannes Raggam

- --
programmatic  web development