[Zope-dev] using WSGIPublisher

Ross Patterson me at rpatterson.net
Tue Oct 30 20:08:33 UTC 2012

Martin Aspeli <optilude+lists at gmail.com> writes:

> On 7 June 2012 07:20, Michael Howitz <mh at gocept.com> wrote:
>> Am 06.06.2012 um 19:58 schrieb Hanno Schlichting:
>> […]
>>> As I said above, my main concern is keeping publisher events and
>>> exception views intact. Some of these events need to happen in code
>>> that's currently inside repoze.* middleware. Like "before transaction
>>> commit", "publication failure" or "publication success".
>> […]
>>
>> +1 to re-add these events. In our WSGI projects it hurts that they are gone now.
>
> There was a thread on this a while ago, and I did some in-depth
> research on the current state of WSGI publishers.
>
> See http://old.nabble.com/Zope-2-WSGI-investigation-to33063118.html#a33063118.

FYI, while working on the Plone WebPI installer, I tried both
infrae.wsgi and the Zope2 WSGI publisher.  I couldn't get infrae.wsgi to
work for a few different reasons:

  https://github.com/plone/Installers-UnifiedInstaller/commit/be495bb5e0a71137cfe2169d6b72f7496059beac

  Fix problem with hanging requests and orphaned python processes.

  Opening ZMI or the `@@plone-addsite` view worked fine, but a vanilla
  Plone site would cause the browser to start getting a response but it
  never finished and the Python FCGI process would be orphaned from IIS.

  Switching back to the Zope2 WSGI server I found that Diazo themeing
  seems to work just fine anyways so I don't think we need it.

So the Zope2 WSGI publisher works for plone.app.themeing when I was told
that it wouldn't work without events.  *Shrug*

Ross