[Zope-dev] zope-tests - FAILED: 4, OK: 12

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Thu Apr 25 15:57:46 UTC 2013

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 09:49:28AM -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:
> On 04/25/2013 04:36 AM, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > So latest stable ZODB3 (3.10.5) is incompatible with the two latest
> > stable persistent releases (4.0.5 and 4.0.6).
> >
> > What should we do?  Release ZODB3 3.10.6 with a backport of these
> > patches?
>
> ZODB 3.10 bundles its own version of persistent:  the standalone one
> shouldn't be used at all if ZODB 3.10 is in play.

Yet somehow we're getting both in a z3c.contents buildout.  Note that
z3c.contents doesn't directly require either one.

It looks like we're getting persistent via BTrees 4.0.5, and we're
getting BTrees via zope.annotation 4.2.0, and we're getting
zope.annotation via zope.copypastemove 3.8.0, which is a direct
requirement of z3c.contents.

Are BTrees bundled with ZODB3 as well?  (Yes.)

Can setuptools dependencies express complicated Debian-package-like
concepts like "ZODB3 provides BTrees, persistent" and "ZODB3 conflicts
with BTrees, persistent"?

Are there other ways of avoiding a flag day?  I don't think we can
reasonably require that no final-version PyPI package may depend on
BTrees or persistent until ZODB 4.0.0 final is finally out.

Marius Gedminas
--
http://pov.lt/ -- Zope 3/BlueBream consulting and development