[Zope-dev] zope-tests - FAILED: 14, OK: 7

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Fri Jul 12 08:23:54 CEST 2013

On Jul 12, 2013, at 02:38, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:

> On 07/11/2013 01:05 PM, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>
>> FWIW I tried to upgrade a few projects to zc.buildout 2.2 today but
>> had to revert to a buildout 1.x due to conflicts with an OS-provided
>> pkg-resources sourced from distribute that I could not uninstall.
>
> Patient: "Doctor, when I drink iced tea I get a cold stabbing pain in my
> eye!"
>
> Doctor:  "Take out the spoon!"
>
> (In other words, if the system python is hosing you, quit using it).
>
> If the system python provide command-line flags for suppressing
> site-paacakges, you might be able to use them to bootstrap.  Or build a
> virtualenv '--without-setuptools' and use that to boostrap.  Or just
> build your own Python and be done.

The recommendation to compile your own python comes up often, but from an operational point of view is not a realistic thing to do. I want to use a system Python since I want to get automatic (security) updates from my OS instead of having to deal with them manually.

virtualenv might work, but then again using buildout 1.7 which essentially has virtualenv built in still seems like a simpler solution.

Wichert.