[Zope-dev] "procedures" for moving package to github and porting to Python 3

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 10:24:31 UTC 2013

On 3/1/13 10:17 AM, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 09:51:05AM +0100, Jan-Wijbrand Kolman wrote:
>> Disclaimer: it's been a while since I actively followed zope-dev and
>> grok-dev. So, please forgive me my ignorance.
>
> A single up-to-date web page sure beats reading months of list archives.

:-)

>> Spurred by the recent ZTK-2.0 discussion, I'm trying to get back on
>> track on the topics of 1) migrating package to github and 2) porting
>> packages to Python 3.
>>
>> As a first step, I'd like to get the packages directly related to
>> Grok moved over to github.
>>
>> Could someone perhaps tell me if there's a guideline document, some
>> kind of recipe, or perhaps a "conclusive" posting on the mailinglist
>> on how to proceed on this topic?
>
> My attempt at this: https://gist.github.com/mgedmin/4944724
>
> AFAIK Stephan migrated most of the zope.* packages using this process.

Ok, thanks. I've read it, but will need to re-read it a couple of times
more I guess :)

It seem to me the best next step would be to just pick a random
grokcore.* package and to just try it. I'll pick, well, grokcore.component.

If I understand correctly, there's two things I need to ask "someone" to do:

* create a repository at https://github/zopefoundation/grokcore.component

* ask permission to use the authors.txt mapping svn usernames to real
names and email addresses.

Again, thanks for the information.

regards, jw