[Zope-dev] github etiquette

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Tue Sep 17 13:00:34 CEST 2013

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 12:04:04PM +0200, Jan-Wijbrand Kolman wrote:
> I wonder if there is a formal or informal write-up of how to
> "nicely" contribute code to the repositories under the
> zopefoundation umbrella.

I don't think so.  I'd like to see one.

> Back in the subversion days I would branch a project, amend code,
> write tests, commit this to the repository, ask for feedback on the
> list, and, when deemed acceptable, merge my changes back to the
> project's trunk, perhaps even make a release of the project.
>
> Yesterday I wanted to add a small feature to zope.formlib and
> wondered whether I should:
>
> 1) clone the "canonical" zope.formlib repository, make a branch, do
> my work, push the changes, ask for feedback on the list and
> eventually merge the branch to the mainline.
>
> or
>
> 2) fork the repository, make a branch in the fork, do my work, push
> the changes to my fork, and issue a pull request.
>
> The latter is what I did, without explicitly asking for feedback.
> Luckily someone did give me feedback (thanks!) :-)

I think a pull request is right.

It doesn't matter much if the branch you're asking to pull is in the
main repository or in a private fork.

> Now that I mended the pull request, should I merge the pull request
> myself? Or is the current etiquette that someone else should merge
> the pull request?

I think it's fine to merge own pull requests, provided that somebody
+1'd it.  (Or if nobody cared for a couple of weeks, even after asking
for feedback on the list.)

> My apologies in case I missed an obvious document or reference
> somewhere that describes the way "we" should work with the
> zopefoundation's codebase...

Can we please get the http://foundation.zope.org/ website source on
GitHub, so it becomes maintainable by the community?

Marius Gedminas
--
http://pov.lt/ -- Zope 3/BlueBream consulting and development