[Zope-dev] github etiquette

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Tue Sep 17 17:15:59 CEST 2013

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 09:35:58AM -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 8:58 AM, Marius Gedminas <marius at gedmin.as> wrote:
> > FWIW the only reason I'm in favour of self-merges is that this
> > short-circuits the "have you signed the ZF committer agreement?" dance.
> > Only people who have can merge.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand the point you're making.

I'll try to explain better.

> > I also feel silly when I ask this question from people with very
> > familiar names.  (I feel that I have to do when I don't see ZF
> > membership on their GitHub profile.)
>
> So are you saying you don't merge other people's code because
> you don't want to ask if they're contributors?

No.  I'm saying the reviewer-merges workflow looks like this:

1. Somebody creates a pull request
2. A reviewer reviews
3. OP fixes
4. Reviewer asks "have you signed the agreement?  if not please sign"
5. OP says he/she signed it
6. Reviewer trusts OP's word and merges

(I don't have a good short word for "somebody who created the pull
request", so I abused Original Poster.)

Whereas I'd prefer

1. Somebody creates a pull request
2. A reviewer reviews
3. OP fixes
4. Reviewer says "looks good to me, feel free to merge (if you're not a
   committer already, see http://foundation.zope.org/agreements)"
5. OP merges

It's not a very strong preference.  I can feel myself changing my mind
already ;-)

OTOH the implicit trust in step 6 makes me a bit uneasy, and I'm not
quite sure how to verify the fact of the signing.  Wait for the user to
show up in https://github.com/zopefoundation?tab=members ?

> I can understand this, but I'd still try to encourage a more review-centric
> workflow.

+1

> Also, if a change is trivial, the PR doesn't have to be from a contributor.
> I understand that triviality isn't always clear.

It's completely unclear to me, once the PR goes beyond "typo fixes". :(

Marius Gedminas
--
http://pov.lt/ -- Zope 3/BlueBream consulting and development