[Zope-dev] Zope / ZTK release management

Christopher Lozinski lozinski at freerecruiting.com
Thu Jul 24 14:48:16 CEST 2014

On 7/24/14, 10:43 AM, Hanno Schlichting wrote:
> The job for the Zope release manager is still open :))

Well I took a look at your previous posting with this subject.

https://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-dev/2014-February/046109.html

And the line
>feels more ambitious ... ZTK 2.0 ... could use someone with interest
and time.

Well I am curious.

I am having a great time developing my next generation recruiting
website with Grok.
Grok is brilliant.  And yet I worry about the software stack underneath
me.  Like you said
Zope does not need much ongoing work, but new releases are good, they
let people
know that it is an active community.  Right now both grok and ZTK look
not very active.
So sad. And there is always a ton of good functionality out there,   And
bug fixes,
rather than my running into the bugs one at a time and trying to find
the bug, better to just systematically
go through the submitted branches.

More importantly I am becoming dependent on this software stack, and
therefore highly concerned about
its ongoing support.

So I am curious what the release manager does?

Please let me know if the following description of release manager job
is correct.

I think what the release manager does is looks at all the different
branches of all the different packages in Grok and ZTK,
and decides what to include.  He notifies the authors of his decisions,
He merges those branches, and tests them, and uses
them internally, and releases them.  He finds those branches on Github
and people submit them from elsewhere.

Presumably he decides what packages to include in ZTK and Grok, and what
to not include.

Is that a correct understanding of the job description?   How much time
would be required to bring
the release up to date with the existing branches?  How fast are new
branches being submitted to you?

So is the release manager the God who decides what goes into the next
version of ZTK and Grok?

I would think that there is a process.  One starts hitting the limits of
ZTK, and pulling in lots of branches, and eventually
it happens so often that the person decides it is easier to just be the
release manager.    I have not reached that point yet,
but I am curious.

Is there an active release manager for Grok?

Regards
Chris