[Zope-dev] Zope 2 bug tracker?

yuppie y.2015 at wcm-solutions.de
Wed Feb 4 16:56:27 CET 2015

Hi Patrick,

I didn't want to start a political discussion, I just wanted to know if
I missed a decision regarding the bugtracker and which channels I
can/should use for contributing. Anyway:

Patrick Gerken wrote:
> Out of curiousity, what is the difference between having to create an
> account for a service of the commercial company Canonical and the
> commercial company github?

Short answer: The size of these companies.

Long answer: Collaborative software development is a market with a
strong network effect. Like telephone networks or social networks. If
you use the services of big companies you help them to become bigger. If
they reach the critical mass, they are no longer part of the market,
they take over the network and make it private.

Look at the Facebook's ToS if you want to see how companies behave after
all competitors are marginalized. Unfortunately nobody is regulating
these new markets like it was done with the phone market. The breakup of
the Bell System in the US and European regulations fixed that market.

I want public networks based on open standards, not private networks
based on proprietary standards. That's why I support projects like Zope
and fight against companies like GitHub.

Cheers,

	Yuppie