[Zope-dev] Zope 2 bug tracker?

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Thu Feb 5 17:15:37 CET 2015

On 02/05/2015 06:27 AM, yuppie wrote:

> Tres Seaver wrote:
>> On 02/04/2015 06:35 AM, yuppie wrote:
>>
>>> What's correct?
>>
>>> If the second one is correct: The policy of my company doesn't
>>> allow to register for GitHub services. Is there an alternative way
>>> to report bugs? Or is reporting bugs now limited to customers of
>>> GitHub Inc?
>>
>> We are in the process of switching off the Launchpad issue trackers
>> and reporting all bugs on the Github issue pages.  Zope2 is
>> currently "in the middle" on that:  the released versions were
>> created when Launchpad was still the primary location, and we have
>> not finished moving stuff across. The drivers for the move are to
>> simplify the workflow for the maintainers (e.g., closing bugs via
>> checkin messages).
>
> So in other words: Any link that points to Launchpad for reporting
> new bugs is outdated and someone is working on sorting this out.

Yes.  One part of the task that isn't done yet for Zope2 is migrating
open LP bugs over to Github, closing them an LP with a link to the new bug.

> If I don't want to become GitHub customer, I have these two options:
>
> - not reporting bugs
>
> - reporting bugs on zope-dev at zope.org until I'm told to stop that

I'd say reporting them here is fine, and would argue against anybody
wanting to tell you to stop.

>> While I would in theory be happier to have a better alternative to
>> Github (e.g., Nick Coghlan's proposal to use Kallithea to host
>> forge.python.org), I don't see the will in the community to support
>> that. Zope2's biggets downstream, Plone, has moved all its
>> development effort to Github, for instance.
>>
>> I just added a branch, `lp:zope2`, which will track the master
>> branch from Github.  You should be able to push branches and request
>> merges on Launchpad, and can ask for their review here.
>
> Thanks! I'll test that procedure the next time I want to change
> something in Zope 2.

For future reference (mine, as well as anybody who might be looking at
merging such branches):

http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/migration/en/foreign/bzr-on-git-projects.html

Tres.
- --