[Zope-dev] Problems get Zope 4.1 running behind Apache

Marko von Oppen marko at von-oppen.com
Wed Jul 24 22:08:03 CEST 2019

Hello together,

For a long time I'm using Zope. I wrote some small application for Zope2
whose are still running in a Zope 2.13 instance behind Apache on my web
site.

I was positively surprised by the announcement of Zope 4. So I started
with some effort to get Zope 4 running in my environment.

The first idea was to install Zope 4 together with Apache Mod_wsgi what
I think would be the best solution in my case. But neither in Zope
documentation nor anywhere else I could find a hint how to run Zope 4 on
mod_wsgi.

So finally I resigned for that project and I decided to run Zope 4 on
Bjoern or Waitress. With both I get Zope 4 running but not in Daemon mode.

The next big problem arrived when I tried to get it running behind
Apache using the mod_rewrite approach. I'm running that successful on my
Apache 2.13 instance for many years. I installed Zope 4 beside my Zope 2
instance on the same machine, same IP address and one port higher. I
copied and modified the rewrite statements in Apache conf to serve Zope
4 at /z4 instead of /z2. In the first attempt I saw only some fragments
of the management page. In Apache error log I found several failed
attempts to /++resource++zmi URLs. After adding a hack to Apache conf
redirecting all requests starting /++ to Zope 4 I could see the Zope 4
management interface. But far from being usable. Some links are working,
many not. E.g. The Control_Panel link is pointing to /Control_Panel
instead of /z4/Control_Panel. It looks for me like a general problem in
generating the URLs (VirtualHostMonster?).

My questions here are:

Is there anywhere a resource where is described how to run Zope 4 behind
mod_wsgi or can somebody help me to get Zope running in that way?

Are the described problems with mod_rewrite/VirtualHostMonster known? Am
I missing something here?

Thanks and best regards

Marko

--