[Zope-PAS] Re: decorator plugins

J Cameron Cooper jccooper at jcameroncooper.com
Tue May 3 22:09:03 EDT 2005

Tres Seaver wrote:

> J Cameron Cooper wrote:
>
>>The file doc/framework_overview.stx talks of "decorator plugins".
>>However, I can find no such thing in the code.
>>
>>It does, however, search for properties plugins and add property sheets
>>to the user based on those (if they have data).
>>
>>Am I to assume that decorators are simply old terminology for property
>>providers?
>

> It is a somewhat ill-chosen term for the plugins which are allowed /
> expected to "scribble" on the newly-fabricated PropertiedUser:  that set
> includes the properties plugins, the group plugins, and the role plugins.
>
> The name conveys a slightly off-kilter connotation, becuase it clashes
> with the GoF Decorator pattern:  in this case, the plugins decorate the
> user object, rather than wrapping around another component, providing
> the same interface but extending it (which is the pattern's intent).

I'll buy the use of "decorators" as a conceptual term; it's very
appropriate to how PAS constructs user objects. But the use in the
doc/framework_overview.stx file isn't quite right, both in the "Plugin
Types" section and in the section with code. (There's no such thing as a
'listDecoratorPlugins' method.)

It would be more appropriate to say: Property manager plugins are used
to decorate users with property sheets... Group plugins are used to
decorate users with groups. etc.

		--jcc

--
http://plonebook.packtpub.com/