[Zope-PAS] Installing Plone PAS in Plone site overwrite base acl_users and sites acl_users

Dario Lopez-Kästen dario at ita.chalmers.se
Mon Nov 14 06:54:50 EST 2005

Sidnei da Silva wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 11:12:31AM +0800, Tom Hallam wrote:
> | I infer from the above that the replacement of both user folders is a
> | design decision.  The implication of this is that if you have multiple
> | sites on the same Zope install all instances have to be PAS regardless
> | of what your actual authentication needs are :-( .  I should be able to
> | keep a simple acl_users folder in the zope root if I'm happy with
> | limitations given above.  The install program should not force this.
>
> Not sure what to say. Your requirement is weird to say the
> least. We've decided for the path of less confusion.
>
> 99% of the Plone (or 'CookieCrumbler', as this affects any user of
> cookie-based authentication) users would expect to be able to log in
> with a user from a user folder in the root, which *is*
> backwards-compatible behavior. What you want is not
> backwards-compatible behaviour IMHO, so my opinion is that you will
> have to fix that yourself if you want that policy to be supported.

err... that requirement is not at all wierd, and I am not sure that you
are talking about different things...

Does this mean, that in any Zope ZODB where I have such a Plone
instance, the Plone instance imposes it's acl_users on the ROOT of the
Zope install? Or is it that if I use PAS, *all* user folders at any
level in the ZODB have to be PAS in that particular ZODB, regardless of
at which level I use a PAS acl_users?

I feel that I am not grokking something here, so I'd be very gratefull
if someone coudll clarify this...

/dario - confused...

Lyrics applied to programming & application design:
"emancipate yourself from mental slavery" - redemption song, b. marley