[Zope-PAS] Installing Plone PAS in Plone site overwrite base acl_users and sites acl_users

Dario Lopez-Kästen dario at ita.chalmers.se
Mon Nov 14 07:35:30 EST 2005

Sidnei da Silva wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 12:54:50PM +0100, Dario Lopez-Kästen wrote:
> | Does this mean, that in any Zope ZODB where I have such a Plone
> | instance, the Plone instance imposes it's acl_users on the ROOT of the
> | Zope install?
>
> No, PlonePAS migrates the acl_users on the 'first found above' to be a
> compatible PAS acl_users setup, with existing users migrated, only if
> it's a standard 'User Folder'.

caveat, I am not into PAS yet, I am only following the discussion for
fuutre work, so I may not be understanding corretly how PAS works:

"first found above" sounds like it is the Zope-root in a normal Plone
install: ie. / is the zope root, where there is an acl_users. /Portal is
the Plone default install. /Portal/acl_users is the non-pas location of
a user folder if one creates one at or after creating a Plone Site object.

"first found above" means... /Portal/../acl_users --> /acl_users?

Or does "first found above" mean /Portal/acl_users ?

Assuming, I have understood this correclty, if there is no
/Portal/acl_users, then I can understand that there logically is no
other user folder than /acl_users to PAS-ify... but that  is, imho,
perhaps a bit too invasive - better to offer the user an option to
create a new PAS-ified acl_users at /Portal level rather than silenlty
PAS-ify the root acl_users.

We have all learned that replacing the root acl_users is generally not a
good idea, so doing this semi-silently is perhaps a bit premature. Until
Zope ships with PAS as the default user folder implementation, replacing
root user folders should be treated as a special case that is to be
avoided and alternative options should be offered.

Apologies if I am misunderstanding everything and wasting bandwith.

Sincerely,

/dario

Lyrics applied to programming & application design:
"emancipate yourself from mental slavery" - redemption song, b. marley