[Zope-PAS] Getting PAS users to show up in the access log/Z2.log

Ross Patterson me at rpatterson.net
Thu Aug 23 15:45:44 EDT 2007

It seems like ZServer/medusa/http_server.py is responsible for logging
requests to the access log/Z2.log and it only extracts the user from the
HTTP basic auth header.

I'd like to have the Z2.log reflect my PAS users so I started a branch at
http://svn.zope.org/PluggableAuthService/branches/rossp-access-log/ that
hacks some request data.  You can see the meat of it in the following
changeset:

http://svn.zope.org/PluggableAuthService/branches/rossp-access-log/PluggableAuthService.py?view=diff&r1=79171&r2=79170

I'm sure this is just about the worst way to do this.  :)  I just wanted
to get the discussion started.

I suspect that ZServer/medusa/http_server.py is only invoved for certain
Zope setups and that other Zope setups (twisted, etc.?) might log
differently.

So what would be a better way to approach this?  Does anyone else have a
solution to this problem?

Ross