[Zope-PAS] Re: proposal: IUserAdder plugins

Miles miles at jamkit.com
Sun May 6 16:58:41 EDT 2007

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> On 6 May 2007, at 05:12, Miles wrote:
>
>>> -1, we can not change semantics of existing interfaces.
>>>

>> I agree with this.  Though the restriction is not documented  anywhere: I
>> am happy to add some explanatory notes though.
>
> It does not need to be documented because that is a generally  accepted
> rune, not something specific to this project. Interfaces  should not
> change out of the blue. If a change must be made there are  mechanisms
> (deprecation warnings, etc) that can be used to tell  people about
> impending changes, and they're usually employed for 2  releases.

Sorry, my mail wasn't very clear.

I meant the "the first IUserAdder plugin to return True vetoes further
plugins" restriction (which isn't documented - I was suggesting adding a
note about it) and not the "changing semantics of interfaces out of the
blue is not allowed" restriction (which is documented in mailing lists
and other places).

Miles