[ZWeb] Re: [Zope-dev] package descriptions

ethan mindlace fremen mindlace@digicool.com
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 23:48:43 -0400

Paul Everitt wrote:

> > Perhaps a 'short_description' property could be added to the
> > Product, and it would default to 'first line' only if that
> > property was blank.
>
> (I snipped out zope-dev from the address list.)
>
> I'll second Michael's suggestion with a slight modification.  I'd like
> to use just plain 'Description' to follow Dublin Core.  I think having
> it as a separately edited thing is best.

Paul, the description that currently exists is already called
Description. I oppose adding an aditional property for the following
reasons:

The "Software Product" product on zope.org, in possible conjunction with
the zope software, is going to eventually evolve into something that
posseses the kind of functionality present in RPMs or DEBs.

Both of these package management systems have only one description
field, and debian specifically requests that the first line be
descriptive of the package.

The next version of Products will enforce a non-html capable version of
structured text for the description, which the Once And Future ZTopic
will handle properly.

--
ethan mindlace fremen
Zopatista Community Liason